Tuesday, February 10, 2009

j a l a n k a y u

Tulang @ Jalan Kayu
My uncle's been bringing me to this place at Jalan Kayu that's 3 stalls (selling different stuff like Roti Prata stuff, Seafood Zi Char stuff, Satay, Nasi Padang etc) which combined forces, so customers can sit anywhere and yet order from any of them. This bone marrow dish (which is called Bone Steak on the menu) is really huge and worth it for 8 bucks! Plenty of bones, more than enough to go around the table of 5, and really lip-smacking sauce! Waaaay better than the one we had with my sis at Rowell hee... This is so gonna make her drool till she next flies back haha...

Tissue Thosai @ Jalan Kayu
This is humongous. Totally. Just look at the puny bowl of chickpea sauce in comparison. And I didn't even manage to squeeze in the entire length of it into the photo yet! Really thin and comes with 4 sauces to boot. My aunt and I just love the chickpea sauce (the one served in the bowl), and we all just ended up dipping some Thosai in the Tulang sauce too haha cos that sauce was that good.

Roti John with mutton and cheese @ Jalan Kayu
Somehow not as impressive as I was expecting. Found the bread a bit tough for my liking. Maybe I like stuff that's more crisp on the surface, though no idea whether that'd be authentic roti john hee.. Sauces came in generous amounts, but not so for the fillings.

Roti Prata Bomb @ Jalan Kayu
Was reading about this Prata Bomb thingy in some food blog somewhere, think the craze started in Malaysia but apparently hasn't really caught on in Singapore, as nobody else at the table had ever heard about it. It looked rather dismal when it arrived at the table, but was really not bad tastewise! Think the dough's slightly different, had some margarine and sugar in it too. Guess I'll try a Bomb again when I next see it in another prata stall's menu.

Sardine Murtabak @ Jalan Kayu
First time having fish in Murtabak haha.. Was quite a fresh change, though it was more moist than usual Murtabaks, dunno whether it's cos of the sardine, or their Murtabaks are generally of the wetter sort.

Beehoon Goreng Pattaya @ Jalan Kayu
This was good stuff! I generally love Pattayas, which is just whatever stir-fried carbo-dish wrapped in omelet. The egg was soft and moist enough, and the beehoon goreng had sufficient ingredients too.

No comments: