Sunday, January 13, 2008

t o u c h d o w n

Touched down on 12th January 2008, Sat. It was one crazy day. Due to the delay in departure time from Singapore, I arrived in Frankfurt only about 2h later than planned. Was super worried on the plane about my connecting train trip, so I asked the air stewardess. She brought a customer service manager over, who explained to me that they can't do anything about it at that point in time on the plance, but he suggested that I approach the staff on the ground 'after the escalator up' upon arrival and/or email the customer care email address, and 'Qantas will definitely help you'.

So when I approached the staff, one of them only told me to just take any connecting train, and when I asked about how to claim the costs incurred from the new ticket etc, she seemed irritated and brushed me off with a 'go collect your luggage, then if you have more questions, you can ask the man in the luggage collection area.' It didn't seem like I was getting anywhere with these staff, so I went down to the luggage collection. There was no such 'man' there, so while waiting for my luggage, I went to enquire at the only counter there, the lost luggage counter. He said that I could wait for the staff to come down and pass by that area or go to the Qantas counter outside after collecting my luggage. So after collecting my luggage, it was past the time I was supposed to board my train. Went to the Qantas counter, but there were no staff there, though there a few other passengers like me queueing up there already. Nobody came after a long time, so we left and I went to the information counter of Frankfurt Airport. They tried calling whatever Qantas numbers they have, but there was no answer. So they suggested that I buy a train ticket for the next connection then try calling those numbers again or email Qantas with my receipts.

And the train station is not even at Terminal 2 even. So had to take a shuttle bus there. And had no help with my luggage at all. Bought my ticket at the DB counter, went to platform, but realised that the next train was not going to Leipzig after all. Checked my ticket, and realised that the ticket the staff at DB gave me was for the 08:11 train, although I bought the ticket at 08:18. =S Amazing right.. So went all the way back and got it changed, and the next direct train was 2h later. Was feeling really horrid by then already. Then I saw this chinese guy coming up from the train station platforms, who looks rather familiar. Wasn't sure at first, so hesitated for a while, before following him and shouting out his name. Ended up he's really SW! Haha.. My first day in Germany is his last day, and we actually met by chance at the train station.
Was good to meet someone familiar! Felt so much better after telling him my story and he helped me SMS my apartment-mate who was going to fetch me from the train station in Leipzig, but we didn't receive a reply by the time we had to part ways, so he actually passed me his SIM card! And even gave me his sandwich and apple and banana and a few slices of mandarin orange! To eat as lunch on my train trip.. ;) That's the paper bag of all that, that I placed on the seat beside me.

This is me on the train with my paka hanging at the side. Glad I'm finally on my way to Leipzig after all that mess.
That's my luggage in between my seat and the ones in front. Couldn't stretch my legs then. Too much trouble to lift them up and place in the overhead luggage holder. Was lucky to have help carrying them up and down the train, especially since there's a flight of stairs from the train to the platform.

That's the view out of the window.. Had 3h worth of it! Saw some horses grazing even!

No comments: